Saturday, March 21, 2009

Just cause I have to..





Ok, so I have had mixed emotions about blogging about my evening last night. ( out of fear that my parents will read this) Then after more thought, I realized there is nothing to hide, in fact, I hope they see.





So, as my active single social life goes, I spend many Friday nights with my parents. Last night was no different. I left work, went to the house to pick up Lucy, and we went to the dog park. Beautiful evening, and she had a blast. She was exhausted when we got home. (Lucy is my puppy, but lives with my folks. I have full custody of her and can steal her at will).


Ok- now that we have that out of the way. So, I get back to my folks and begin the chatting it up like normal. We talk work, current family events, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Around 10 or so, something was said that struck a cord with me- so I was not able to hold my tounge and talked back. Details are not pertinant to the story. So, after many tears (mine, not my parents), laughs and what not, I left at 12:45 AM.

Yes, 12:45 AM folks- can you believe it? Press on.

During that time learned many things:

  • how my dad gave up on women

  • how my mom and dad met and how he "proposed" - (it is s stretch...but it worked)

  • how rough the first few months of marriage were for my folks- mom losing a kidney, no job, got a job, ice storm, bus ride, new car, new house with fence...new dog ( then 2.. the legacy live on in Lucy #6)

  • how my grandad was a rebel ( explains a lot about me!)

  • how my grandmothers house was flooded, but a great picture was saved!

I also left and had the realization that my parents are some of my very best friends. They love me and my sisters and their families with the perfectly flawed love they have. They care for my precious 93 year old grandma in a way that would make my grandad very proud.


I also left a bit fearful. I am scared I am going to lose them. Their health is not the best, and I cannot fix it for them. They attend doctors appointments at least 1 time a week it seems.


Not only would lose them, but the idea of them not being a part of my future breaks my heart. I want them to know and love the man I marry (still shopping folks, recommendations are welcomed). I want to see my dad rock my baby. I want some of the memories my sisters have had with my parents, is that too much to ask? Am I jealous of them, sure. But, I also know that I have been given the opportunity to know them in a way that they have not. And for that I am truly grateful.


Ok, need to stop before tears come back. I am fresh out!


But, mom and dad, if you stumble across this, know that I love you both dearly and thank you for what you have taught me over the years. I pray that I have some how made you proud with the not so perfect life I have lived thus far.



2 comments:

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

thanks for sharing. you know your mom will always hold a special place in my heart!

Ashley Beth said...

nice post. well said.