Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ok- this one is not sad.

Ok- so I figured I was off to a sad and depressing start. So, in order to look back on my life and have a few laughs, I decided I should write about a recent event.

I am currenly about 6 weeks into training for the 2008 New York Marathon. This will be my 4th, so running is not "new." I have been kinda impressed with myself in that I get up 3 days a week at 4:30 am to go run at 5:30. We get in 4-5 miles on 2 of those days, and on the 3rd we get in our long run. Today we got up to 12. It was actually a great run for me, quite surprising.

So, last wednesday I had a friend ask if I wanted to go for a run. I said sure. However, the idea of running at 5:30 PM in the lovely Texas heat, did not sound all that inspiring. Nevertheless, I went. About 1 mile in, we go and turn a corner at the busiest intersection in my neighborhood, (especially at that time of day) and I go down. Phone and keys airborne, and I in an effort to not face plant, took the obvious next route, and elected to skid down the sidewalk. I quickly got up, gathered my things, and said, "lets keep going!". About 1 more mile in I was back at my place, and was able to clean up the bloodied knees and shin. Ice packs and I became close companions for the next 12 hours. Somehow I got up the next morning and ran 4 more miles.

I have lovely knees. Don't covet.

2 comments:

Alison Bryant said...

I'm so glad you've started this blog! You have a way with words, not that that's the point of something so personal.
I hope you like blogging as much as I do; it's surprising what a neat thing it can be.
Love and prayers,
Alison (Raymond) Bryant

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

i like your blog. sorry to hear about your aunt and Kevin. I will be praying for you. You are quite impressive with your marathon running.